This novel is the 15th in the Price series.

Saturday, August 17, 2019

Slow movement


Friday morning, early

It’s Dorothy Price again. You may not even have noticed that despite finding out who reported finding the corpse at Monkton Priory, I have been left in the dark about other aspects of the case and was forced to phone Nigel at the office to get what I think you would call an update, though it isn’t much of one, I admit.
Fortunately, Nigel and I have a special relationship after I organized his travesty revue last Christmas. He is such a nice boy, so I preferred to phone him rather than Cleo, who is clearly trying to keep me out of things, although I am on the staff of her agency and therefore entitled to know what is going on.
Nigel was almost as distraught as I was and seemed almost as much in the dark, but since the whole case is a mess that does not surprise me. I have a mind to call a think-tank of my own.
To be quite honest, I think Gary is getting tired of his job, but it’s not for me to say. Cleo is too involved with her children to get things organized for Gary, who really needs a strong woman like Cleo to push him on.
I heard from Nigel that the ecclesiastical relics have been found, but the men who stole them are still on the run. The rigmarole accompanying the find is extensive and tiresome. Gary and his colleagues know who did it, but have not caught up with them yet, Nigel said. I did not pursue the matter. I’m waiting to be informed on a voluntary basis.
The unfortunate corpse found at the priory has not been identified, either, though Nigel has a theory he plans to expound to Gary this morning. I’m curious, but I’ll wait till this afternoon before suggesting my think-tank. I expect Gary will say I’m interfering, but I don’t care. I need to know what’s going on. Isn’t that what colleagues are for?


No comments:

Post a Comment