This novel is the 15th in the Price series.

Saturday, August 17, 2019

Episode 13 - Nigel


Friday

Had he known about Dorothy’s phone-call to Nigel, Gary would have been thankful that she had chosen to ring Nigel instead of him. One reason for disliking phone-calls with Dorothy was that he usually found himself embroiled in some discussion or other.
Another reason was his dislike of Dorothy’s tendency to include razor-sharp comments interspersed with rebukes and good advice. It made him feel like one of her junior piano pupils who had turned up with spattered piano music, sticky hands and a deep dislike of Miss Price’s teaching methods.
Cleo told him he was imagining things. That did not strike the right note with Gary, either.
As it was, Nigel’s phone-call to his boss – and he hated phoning Gary at home because Gary was invariably busy with the family and did not like being interrupted, especially at breakfast-time – was delayed by Dorothy’s anxious phone-call and the necessity of telling her most of what he knew about the priory case.
***
Gary was not happy about anything that morning. He was keeping Dorothy out of a case he thought distasteful and unsuited to amateur sleuthing, and Dorothy was pressing to be part of it all.
Gary loved Dorothy, but not when she was being a private eye. That in turn annoyed Cleo, who defended Dorothy’s enthusiasm, reminding Gary that he had been thankful for her interventions on several occasions and lapped up the brain-stormings at which Dorothy excelled.
“If it’s business, please use our cell phones, Nigel. We are not bugged here, but the office is.”
Nigel rang off and phoned Gary as instructed.
“Do you want to know what I think?” he said, peeved that Gary had made him feel foolish, since he knew the rule about cell phones for business.
“Sorry I was short, Nigel. What’s up?”
“Nothing’s up, Gary. I just wanted to tell you my theory of the identity of that corpse.”
“Theory or probability?”
“Judge for yourself, Boss!”
Being called “Boss” was a warning that Nigel was irate, but the lord-and-master cliché was not something Gary tolerated, either.
“Carry on, Son.”
“The farm behind Paddy Kelly’s belongs to the writer R D Day alias Bailey.”
“So it does.”
“Quite apart from wondering if this Bailey has anything to do with the Bailey of the driving school, I heard yesterday at the gym that Farmer Bailey’s son Brad has been missing for a long time.”
“So you went to the gym, did you?”
“To exercise. Do you have a problem with that, Gary?”
“No, and people go missing every day because they want to.”
“Not this one. He apparently turned up a drug-addict after donkey’s years of no contact with his father. He’d been taken up north as a kid by his mother after the parents divorced.”
“That happens all the time.”
”So his father got him off drugs and pepped him up.”
“Good for him.”
“That does not sound like indifference. So why didn’t Bailey report his son’s disappearance years ago?” said Nigel.
“The boy probably left a message that he was going back to mother. Father decided it was nobody’s business, so he did not talk about it.”
“The boy was a grown man.”
“But Bailey was probably asked about the son’s whereabouts by people who knew him, on whatever terms, and told to mind their own business,” said Gary. “It doesn’t pay to investigate on hearsay years after, Nigel!”
“Do I have your permission to look into it, Gary?”
“You have my blessing, but if it’s a case of someone going missing and the case not being on the books after a couple of years, we have no resources for extensive sleuthing.”
“Anway, when I’d finished at the gym, I went to that funny Rock Café in Lower Grumpsfield. After all, we still don’t know the identity of those priory bones and there is a possibility that….”
“… that they belong to Bailey junior?”
“Your own advice is not to leave a stone unturned, Gary.”
Gary pulled himself together.
“You’re right, Nigel. That is interesting. What does local gossip now think?”
“The son was a nasty piece of work.”
“But the gym had not been opened then, Nigel, so it can’t be responsible for the disappearance of that guy.”
“But it’s still weird, Gary. We don’t know if the cannibal theory has any basis. That prodigal son was so intensely disliked that the people I talked to said it was good riddance to bad rubbish.”
“So that’s the direction you’re going, is it? A villager could be a killer who then celebrated a strange burial ritual.”
“Or not…”
Cleo heard Gary’s side of the dialogue as she passed came into the living-room. Gary put the cell phone onto room volume.
“I’m sure that the cannibal theme is fantasy, Gary,” said Cleo.
“You thought it up, Cleo,” said Gary.
“SS,” said Cleo. “Spontaneous Speculation.”
 “Did you hear that, Nigel?”
“SS? Sounds sociological to me,” said Nigel. “So in that case it was a straightforward murder with a brutal post mortem tag.”
“Why not?” said Cleo.
“You‘ll have to contact Greg. I’m out of homicide except as an advisor,” said Gary.
“I could be working for the Hartley Agency, Gary. Then it’s not butting into Greg’s department.”
“I’ll buy that, Nigel,” said Gary.
“So will I,” said Cleo.
“OK. I’ll talk to the missing son’s mother.”
“To what end?” said Cleo.
“If he turned up there and is still alive, he isn’t missing, is he?”
“Awesome. But where is she?”
“I could ask Bailey, though he might be on the defensive if I turn up there on my own.”
 “OK. I’ll go along as your assistant,” said Gary.
“That’s not exactly what I was going to suggest.”
“OK. Colleague.”
“You have the blessing of the Hartley Agency,” said Cleo.
 “I’ll square it with Gisela,” said Nigel.
“We’ve baby-sat her job often enough, Nigel. But you’d better tell Greg and invite him to go along. He’s a bit touchy at the moment.”
“Because of Josie? I know. He wants her back and then again he doesn’t. He can’t decide.”
“I don’t suppose she wants him if Bailey lets her queen it in his driving school,” said Gary. The cash flow is also bound to be more to her liking.”
“I’ll be at the cottage for 10. Is that too early?”
“Not for me.”
“Ciao!”
***
Cleo could not find any record of an author named R D Day. She suspected that the guy was into vanity publishing.
“I’ll have to get his internet connection hacked,” said Gary.
“And Sloane’s. He’s probably also good at forging genuine handwriting. I don’t think he’s involved in anything more illegal than selling forged signatures, but you never know,” said Cleo.
“As if that were an innocent game,” said Gary. “It’s time I turned my job in, Cleo. I don’t seem to be in the picture anymore.”
“I’m not stopping you, Sweetheart. It explains why you are in such a foul mood this morning.”
“Disgruntled, Cleo. I’ll do it….when this case is out of the way.”
“Can I have that in writing, Mr Hurley?”
***
Having squared Gary’s and his own absence with Gisela at HQ that morning, Nigel stopped only to look through the usual spate of emails waiting for Gary’s urgent attention, before driving to the Hurley cottage to collect him.
At HQ, Gisela was unhappy and smarting from the condemnation after using the official security van to transport furniture she had sold on behalf of her mother. She was anxious to cooperate if Nigel could promise to be back for lunch as she had a private appointment that afternoon. Gary was not mentioned. His appointment as superintendent almost a year ago had resulted in numerous changes on the management floor, none of which had been to her liking.
***
Nigel drove himself and Gary to the Bailey farm, parked some yards away and walked to the gate that was guarded by two examples of what Nigel later described as hounds of the Baskervilles, though they did not look starved and luminous. They did, however, fletch their teeth hungrily and issue low, warning growls. Fortunately, their owner, presumably the Bailey Gary and Nigel were about to visit, appeared out of the house and called off the beasts saying there was nothing to be afraid of as they were under control. The dogs went fawning to him. He fed them with biscuits and shut them into what had presumably once been a stable.
“I don’t know what you want, but you’d better come in. I don’t like this cold weather,” said Bailey.
“It is Connor Bailey, I assume,” said Gary, who was rapidly coming to the conclusion that the questioning should not be left to Nigel. The guy was unpleasant.
“We’re looking for your son, Mr Bailey,” Nigel started.
“My name is Day, and Brad has left,” said Bailey.
“You’re known as Bailey round here,” said Nigel, “so I will have to call you that – for my report, you understand.”
“What does your mentor think about that?” said Bailey, looking hard at Gary.
“I agree with my … colleague,” said Gary, realising that the ruse of Nigel being at the forefront had not been bought.
“I know you,” said Bailey to Gary. “You knock around with that coloured woman and her tribe.”
“Miss Hartley is my wife and the children are mine,” said Gary, who was becoming angrier by the minute at the farmer’s supercilious art towards them, arrogance towards Cleo, and insult about the family..
“You certainly chose a fertile one,” said Bailey.
“I’d thank you to keep your foul remarks to yourself and concentrate on the business in hand,” said Gary.
“What business?”
Nigel took over.
“Where is your son, Mr Bailey?”
“I told you. He left.”
“Where did he go?”
“What the hell has that to do with you,” said Bailey, lighting a cigarette. The ashtray – a paper dish that had presumably been part of a takeaway – was already full of half-smoked cigarettes. Nigel used a few moments to remove some and pocket them while Bailey went to a drawer and took out a document.
“You don’t need to believe me,” he said. “This is the note he left.”
“Typed on your computer and printed on your printer, I assume. Very thoughtful,” said Gary.
The document did indeed announce that ‘Brad’ was leaving for the north and would forward his new address later.
“So the rumours that he did not leave this farm alive are malicious lies, are they?” said Nigel.
“The decadent village people want me out of here and will go to any lengths to achieve that object,” said Bailey. “If you’ve asked enough questions, I’d like you to leave now.”
“We’re leaving,” said Gary. “Thank you for your cooperation.”
***
“Did we achieve anything, Nigel?”
“Cigarette ends,” said Nigel, patting his lapel pocket.
“I saw that. Chris will be pleased,” said Gary.
“We didn’t ask Bailey where his wife is,” said Nigel.
“We didn’t ask him what he feeds his dogs on, either,” said Gary. “What if the dogs ripped Brad apart? Rottweilers are on record for such misdeeds.”
“So if Bailey and Brad had an argument, they fought, and Bailey knocked his son over and left him lying unconscious in the yard, the dogs might have finished him off,” said Nigel.
“Not a pretty thought. Let’s get back to HQ and think through before taking more steps,” said Gary. “Chris needs the cigarette ends and I want to talk to Gisela and Henry about future organization on our management floor.”
“I’m curious. Am I to be fired?”
“On the contrary. Something Cleo said the other day…”
“I’m not into guessing. Surprise me,” said Nigel.
“Cleo thinks Henry’s an alcoholic, Nigel. Can you write the report on this morning’s outing and send a copy to her?”
“I’m, not sure it matters what Henry’s like,” said Nigel. “He’s retiring soon, then you can sort his department out.”
“I’m not a mathematician, Nigel.”
“He isn’t either.”
“But you are..”
“I’m a dabbler.”
“Charlie doesn’t think so. You tutored her once and she’s top of the class now.”
“Maths is all about logic, Gary.”
“And sobriety, Nigel.”
***
Nigel dashed down to the forensic lab while Gary visited his colleagues. Gisela was sure she could do with official help with her business contacts. Henry was sitting at his desk slouched over a mug of dubious coffee and barely visible over a pile of documents on his in-tray. The out-tray was empty. I could not have timed it better, thought Gary.
***
“Want help with all this, Henry?”
“Can you do accountancy, Gary?”
“No, but I know someone who can.”
“Get him in,” said Henry.
“At a price,” said Gary.
“How much an hour?”
“A month.”
“There’s no job going, Gary.”
“But you could rename one, couldn’t you?”
“That’s probably within my jurisdiction,” said Henry.
“Nigel, my assistant, could be everyone’s assistant up here.”
“Hasn’t he got enough to do chasing after you?”
“He already chases after Gisela and doesn’t get a penny extra.”
“Then he can stop chasing after that silly woman.”
“Try telling her that, Henry. Her in-tray is empty. Yours isn’t.”
“So what do you propose?” said Henry.
“Make him our Managerial Assistant and pay him a respectable salary.”
“He’s only a sergeant, Gary.”
“I’ll make him an inspector.”
Henry looked woefully at his in-tray. He would be retiring in a couple of years and the accounts could support an assistant now Joe (Gary’s journalist brother) was attracting lucrative advertising to his Cop’s Corner rag.
“Would 30% more for all the extra work be enough?”
Gary thought Henry must be desperate if he offered so much recompense.
“He’ll agree, Henry, and your in-tray will be empty in no time.”
“Send him in this afternoon,” said Henry. “It was all my idea, of course, wasn’t it?”
“Of course. You pull the financial strings here.”
“When no one interferes, like the mayor wanting to divert police funds to get himself new chairs for his office.”
Mr Cobblethwaite was known for his frequent ego trips.
“He can’t do that, can he?” said Gary.
“He can try.”
“Nigel will find a way of putting him in his place,” said Gary.
“You set a lot by him, don’t you?”
“I do.”
***
Nigel had thought ahead. Gary would not waste much time on Gisela and Henry would be too embroiled in some sort of calculation to want a heart-to-heart with Gary, so he ordered the usual pizzas from Romano for half an hour hence and chatted to Colin Peck in the archives about the possibility of finding someone among the myriad of Baileys dotted around the country.
***
Gary was delighted that his gastronomic preference had been taken into account. He was very hungry, but also eager to tell Nigel about his good fortune, though Nigel would have to listen to it all over again in Henry’s office and be made to believe that it was Henry who had thought up the new plan for the management floor.
Romano brought the pizzas personally, which was a sign that he needed to talk, meaning that he needed to talk to Gary about his mother-in-law. Gloria was Romano’s perennial fiancée.
To preface the pizza lunch, Romano had thoughtfully brought a bottle of very light white wine along that was to be tasted for flavour. Protests by Nigel and Gary that they did not drink on duty were greeted by sonorous laughter as Romano revealed that the wine was alcohol-free.
“Brilliant, Romano. What has my mother-in-law done now?”
“Moved in. That’s what,” said Romano.
“Isn’t that what you wanted all along?” said Gary.
“Not with me. With Giacomo! But I’m glad she did. Life with Gloria was too complicated.”
“Who’s Giacomo?”
“My new cook.”
“So she’s actually moved out, has she?” said Nigel.
“No. Giacomo lives upstairs and Gloria never moved in with me.”
“I think you’ve had a lucky escape,” said Nigel.
“Another,” said Gary. “Gloria is a law unto herself, Romano. Be thankful.”
“I could throw Giacomo out,” said Romano.
“Did he make these pizzas?”
“Yes.”
“Don’t fire him!” said Gary. “Fire Gloria!”
“But she is the soul of the restaurant.”
“Did she tell you that, Romano?” said Gary.
Romano nodded. He was trying to put a brave face on the situation, but failing miserably.
“The wine’s OK,” said Nigel.
“Ciao bene!” said Romano as he backed his way out of the office.
“What was that about?” Nigel asked.
“Search me,” said Gary. “I thought we were rid of Gloria. Seemingly not.”
***
The episode with Romano was typical of what the restauranteur had gone through with Cleo’s mother. Before leaving, he whispered to Gary to intercede for him. As usually, Gary told him he would talk to Cleo and Cleo would decide what to do. No one had any influence on Gloria, so it was a waste of time trying to convince her of anything, Gary knew. But he did not tell Romano that.
***
Nigel’s next task was to be another visit to Bailey’s driving school. Perhaps Bailey really was related to the guy in Lower Grumpsfield.
“I can arrange that driving lesson,” he said. “I’ll be casual about my questioning.”
“Don’t forget to call yourself ‘Inspector’.”
“Meaning I should talk to Henry before going?”
“He won’t know I’ve told you about your promotion. I more or less had to agree that it was all his idea.”
“Sly old bastard,” said Nigel. ”He hasn’t had an idea for 20 years.”
“Take him a mug of our coffee. The stuff he was drinking when I was there looked unmentionable and was in a paper cup.”
***
Nigel was not sure if Henry had been expecting him. He was grateful for the coffee, but the fiery spots on Henry’s cheeks and the unmistakeable smell of whisky gave the game away. Whatever was bothering him had driven him to drink, Nigel decided. It was high time to step in.
“Nice of you to come, my boy,” Henry garbled. “I’ve had an idea.”
“Gary said you’d like a coffee out of our espresso machine,” Nigel replied, mindful of Henry’s determination to be the great mind behind the promotion plan.
“That too,” said Henry, and proceeded to read off the list he had made for himself during his talk with Gary.
“That’s mighty kind of you,” said Nigel, quoting one of Cleo’s Americanisms.
“It is, isn’t it?” said Henry. “If you could just start with my in-tray. Gary said you can cope.”
“Sure,” said Nigel. “I’ll take it to my office and start now.”
“You’ll have to come back for the rest.”
“The rest?”
“There’s some under my desk.”
The pile of in-tray documents already reached from Nigel’s carrying arms to under his chin. Henry staggered rather than walked to the door and opened it. Nigel returned in double quick time hoping Henry had not fallen into a coma.
“I forgot to offer you a dram to seal our contract,” said Henry, brightening up at the thought of permissible tot of his favourite drink.
“I don’t drink when I’m on duty,” Nigel retorted.
“Ah yes, of course. You’re a policeman, aren’t you? I’m an accountant, so that rule doesn’t apply.”
While Nigel looked on, Henry drank both drams ex hop. Following that and at his behest, Nigel dragged from under the carved oak desk a large cardboard box full of documents, most of them in brown, unopened official A4 envelopes, much as the first collection had been. Nigel nodded wordlessly to Henry and pushed them with his foot down the corridor to his office. The box looked too flimsy to lift.
“There’s more in the cupboard, Inspector!” Henry shouted.
“I’ll go through this lot first,” said Nigel, thinking that another tot of whisky would do the trick. But Henry was still standing.
***
“He’s as drunk as a lord,” Nigel reported to Gary when he had kicked the box into his much smaller office and pushed it under his much smaller desk.
“That doesn’t surprise me.”
“He offered me a dram and scoffed when I said I don’t drink on duty.”
“Nasty. What are you planning to do?”
“Read all the documents and scrap the rubbish, but not before compiling a comprehensive data list. I expect Henry will want me to deal with it all under the circumstances.”
“I can’t say I envy you,” said Gary, “but the driving school is first on the agenda.”
“Can you take a look at Henry?”
“Of course. Any reason.”
“He’s drinking himself under table. You could control if he’s got there.”
Nigel left and Gary went down the corridor to Henry’s office. You can’t get a colleague hospitalized for falling into a drunken coma, he decided. But he would have a heart-to-heart chat with him when he came round.


No comments:

Post a Comment