This novel is the 15th in the Price series.

Saturday, September 21, 2019

Episode 16 - You couldn't make it up


Saturday cont.

After Bailey had left and Nigel had gone back to sorting out Henry’s document chaos, Mia hovered at Gary’s desk. She obviously wanted to talk to him and he was only too glad to a take the opportunity to ask her about knowing Bailey.
“It was Mike who knew him,” she said voluntarily. It took me time to remember. “I only saw him on a photo. But I couldn’t tell Bailey that, could I?”
“So you had actually never met him in person.”
"No, and I don’t want to have anything to do with him.”
“I thought you’d finished with Mike and his associates,” said Gary.
“I have. Mike knew Bailey and showed me a photo he had taken of him somewhere. He also told me a few things about him.”
“Logical if he was on a photo.”
“Not for Mike.”
“So what did he tell you?”
“About Bailey’s double life, but he would not go into detail. He said I couldn’t cope with it.”
Mia paused.
“Go on!”
“My ex-husband sneered at brutality in others while not being too finicky himself, Gary.”
“I know that, Mia, but I’m not really following the thread of your story now.”
“Bailey is a writer by profession, isn’t he?”
“Cleo researched R.D. Day, his pseudonym, but did not find any books he had written,” said Gary. “Some writer!”
“Bailey called himself R.D. Day for the vanity publishing he was planning, but he wrote and was published  under another name, Mike discovered.”
“Really? Titles?”
“Mike only knew about two. Bailey had done the research for them in dark corners of Soho and Manhattan.”
“What kind of research?”
“Social relationships. Racial hatred. Anthropology. Features of personality. The weirder the better.”
“What kind of a published sold such books, Mia?”
“Non-fiction, Gary. An academic publisher producing research material. An endless chain of information.”
“Cleo’s a sociologist and will have read most of the current literature.”
“Impossible. There too much of it.”
“So what name did Bailey use?”
“L.C. Digby-Mortimer.”
“Elsie? That’s a woman’s name.”
“L.C. as initials.”
“I wonder if that choice of alias was deliberate. I’ll ask Cleo if she’s heard of her or of a him pretending to be a her.”
“Strange, isn’t it?”
“Weird,” said Gary. “He didn’t give the impression of being anything but an angry farmer and possibly a failed author with a grudge.”
“The books were panned by the critics, apparently. They were revealed as fake science sold purely to make money. Popular folk-science, like those books on the hereafter and faith healing. A lot of people buy them and live by them.”
“And Mike found all this out.”
“Yes.”
”Does Mike have L.C. Digby-Mortimer’s books, Mia?”
“Oh yes. When he found out about them he ordered them from the New York publisher. He was going to expose Bailey for what he really is, but … well, you know the rest.”
“No. Fill in for me!”
“I flipped through those books at the time. I thought they were absurd and so did Mike. Fraud was a hobbyhorse of his. He had dozens of books on the subject of fraud and faking.”
“So on the one hand, Mike was a purist wanting to reveal the truth about Bailey’s fraudulent books, and on the other he had no scruples about raping and beating his wife on a regular basis,” said Gary. “I’m surprised he let you into his plan at all.”
He didn’t. I found the books and asked him about them. He refused to explain. Then, when he was safely behind bars I decided to burn them, but looked at them first and was fascinated by the idea behind Mike’s research.”
“So Mike has intellectual quality, but he behaved abominably.”
“Mike is a Jekyll and Hyde, Gary. That’s what he was going to accuse Bailey of.”
“It takes one to know one,” said Gary.
“Something held me back from destroying all those hours of painstaking work, even if they were Mike’s, and he was still working on his research. It was going to be his big breakthrough as a private detective. I knew that much.”
“Private? He was a cop before his conviction.”
“He would have quit the police, Gary. Part of his problem was my success. He could not beat it, so he beat me instead.”
“Literally,” said Gary. “That’s how Cleo explained his behaviour. I’m glad we caught up with him.”
“He wanted to be a success, somehow, somewhere. The only reason I am still alive is that Mike wanted to get his research honoured and for that I believe was prepared to enter into the evil he had read about in Bailey’s books, to get at more detailed information.”
“You should have told me all this before, Mia. It’s alarming and he should have been removed from his job long ago.”
“That’s why he was glad to come to Middlethumpton. I think the Birmingham colleagues were starting to get suspicious.”
“Of what, Mia? Cannibalism? Surely not. Did you get a warning from Birmingham?”
“An anonymous phone-call telling me to throw him out, if only to protect the child. I didn’t take it seriously.”
“So you ignored the warning signs and put up with him?”
“He could be nice.”
“There are lots of nice people locked up for life, Mia. You should talk to Cleo about that.”
“If I had taken action, Tim and I might not have survived.”
“But you’re a cop, Mia.”
“I was a defenceless woman at home.”
“I’ll phone Cleo now,” said Gary. “No. On second thoughts, it’s getting quite late so I’ll make for home, discuss this with Cleo and get in touch.”
“OK. My son would like a few waking hours with his mother.”
“Thanks for this head to head talk, Mia, though you haven’t really told me everything, have you?”
“No, but I will.”
“I’m glad Mike is behind bars,” said Gary.
“He’s due for parole. He’s behaved well.”
“Then we’ll have to get a move on, won’t we?”
“I’ll collect all the evidence I have and get it to you by Monday.”
“Please do that. And there is just one question I want to ask now.”
“Go ahead.”
“When you mentioned anthropology, you meant anthropophagy, didn’t you?"
***
Gary had thought of asking Mia if the pseudo-scientific books had anything to do with the Monkton Priory case, but decided that seeing Bailey live for the first time along with  the association with the subject of Mike’s research had motivated her to tell him about it. She had not answered his final question and Gary thought he knew why.
***
Bailey had comported himself decently and Gary had had no reason to think he would lie about the dog ownership, since it could be checked. But the idea that the guy was entirely innocent would have to be dropped, however. He may not have taken part in the terrible drama surrounding the victim in the priory case, but he might know more about it than he would reveal. As for the publication of sham scientific books, that could be something a guy like Bailey could do living quietly in the country and making it up as he went along, or transferring some kind of personal experience - working it out of his system. It was a perfect cover – for what? A fertile mind or criminal acts?
***
Discussing the ongoing case with Cleo was a normal procedure for Gary, but this time Cleo had already put forward ideas that took the case out of normal dimensions. As a sociologist, Cleo had herself never come across cannibalism, but read about it while she was studying, so developments of any kind in that direction were bound to be accompanied by speculation.
The idea of cannibalism in the Priory case had first come from Cleo, supported by Chris, who had examined the skeletal finds at Monkton Priory and come to that conclusion. The idea that dogs could have done the damage was new, but under consideration by Chris, but the dog theory would have to be eliminated if Bailey had told the truth about when he acquired the animals.
A quick check with the animal rescue centre confirmed Bailey's statement about the Rottweilers getting a home - all former guard dogs had to have a decent retirement, it appeared. No questions seem to have been asked about what the dogs were trained to do apart from guarding property.
It occurred to Gary that they did not know when the son had actually disappeared. Was Brad Bailey being kept a prisoner? Did Bailey obtain the dogs to have them maul and kill his son?
It was clear that the bones had been buried in some sort of ritual since the trip to the priory – sacred ground even after many centuries – bearing the remains of the victim in bio-degradable sacks was macabre, but indicated a reverential burial act. Even planting a tree on the spot where the skull found its resting-place could have been part of a ceremony. Gary comforted himself with the idea that the interment of those bones had been respectful, if gruesome.
It was apparent that Bailey’s dogs could not have savaged the son unless they were at the farm before Brad went missing. That was possibly the most stunning revelation so far: the blame for the condition of those remains had not been removed from Bailey' pets. Being spoilt for choice was, however, macabre and might not be proved.
In a short phone-call to Chris, Gary asked if DNA had been taken from the dogs. Chris told him that he had done so and wanted to know why.
“Until we know for certain that Brad Bailey disappeared before the dogs arrived at the farm, we ‘’ have to keep that possibility open,” said Gary.
“Meaning that dogs’ DNA might still be on the bones?”
“Or on the plastic sacks containing them, Chris.”
“I hope the trash has not been collected, Gary.”
“Can you check?”
“Of Course. I wasn’t planning to take the weekend off.”
***
Gary also had to admit that those bones might belong to someone else. Only DNA could identify the victim. If the bones were not related to Bailey, they would probably never know who the victim was.
And there was Mike’s research into Bailey to consider. It was years back and thus not provoked by events at the priory, but Bailey was up to no good, of that Gary was sure. How could they pin him down? Would Cleo know the books he had written as a sham scientist? Or was it all a big coincidence?
***
No wonder Gary was emotionally loaded when it came to presenting all that to Cleo, who listened wordlessly to his report, taking brief notes and biting her lip as she did so.
***
“Let’s get methodical,” she announced when Gary finally came to a halt. “I’ll look for Digby-Mortimer. Elsie is a woman’s name, isn’t it?”
“L.C. as capital letters could be anybody,” said Gary.
“I can’t recall it so if I did read the books, they did not leave much of an impression,” she said. “What a cunning way of disguising one’s gender.”
“This case is getting weirder by the minute, Cleo.”
 “Have you considered that Mia might know more than she told you. She’s quite a dark horse.”
“I thought she trusted me, but she was too scared to do anything about what she knew at the time, and now she’s scared because she has finally realized that the situation has come to a head with the findings at the priory. It must tally with some of the stuff Mike Curlew was treasuring and working on because of Bailey’s association with Mike – whatever form that too. Mike is near parole so Mia will go back in her shell out of self-defence.”
“I would not like to be the one to tell Mike that his research is up for scrutiny,” said Cleo.
“She’ll need protection,” said Gary.
“You’ll have to act fast,” said Cleo.
“Correction! We’ll have to act fast.”
“I’m still nursing the little ones. My liberty is limited.”
“I mean that we need to discuss it all in detail, hoping we get some more facts tomorrow when Mia brings Mike’s research material to HQ. I’m relying on you, Cleo. I could write books, but they would be romantic fiction, I think. I’m not up to crime, and totally out of my depth with cannibalism.”
“Most of us are, but it exists and not just in the animal kingdom.”
“Can we leave the animal kingdom out of this?”
“Instinct, Gary. It explains why perverse sexuality can actually lead to anthropophagy, but that does not justify it by any means. We humans are supposed to have reached a point where we have learnt to respect one another and act with propriety. But it doesn’t apply to everyone. There would be no homicide if that were the case.”
“Implying that some individuals will go to the limits of humanity and beyond,” said Gary.
“Yes, and it ties in with what I keep saying: that you cannot normally tell from looking at someone what kind of evil is going on inside his head; you can’t tell by looking at someone whether he is kind and compassionate or blood-thirsty and unprincipled.”
“Do you think Dorothy could shed fresh light on the case?”
“Ask her.”
“I will.”
“And we could do a video conference at your office on the basis of Chris’s new findings over the weekend. I can join in from here. I am as keen as you are to sort out this business.”
“I’m not technically equipped, Cleo. I’ll have to rope Greg in and use my old office for that.”
“The more the merrier. Ring Dorothy and invite her to supper. Grit left us a casserole. Your mother is an angel, Gary. There’s enough for Mia, too, I’m sure.”
“Would it bother you if I asked Mia to bring anything relevant that she finds tonight?”
“Not at all. She should also bring her son. He can sleep in the boys’ room while we talk.”
***
Dorothy was touched to be included, but she said she would rather wait until Monday and take part in the video conference from the cottage, if Gary said she could.
Mia went o the playground with Tim. She would try to get a baby-sitter at such short notice. If she couldn’t, she would of course bring him along. He was playing happily with a huge plastic digger as she spoke.
Mike’s research material was stored in an old leather satchel. After the Bailey questioning, she had taken another brief look at the files, but not found anything. Mike would have stored it in a database, but she had no idea where. Mia thought she could be at the cottage by 7 p.m.
Supper was enjoyed by all, including Tim, who was quite happy to join in with the Hurley boys’ big bath-time, after which he was dressed in one of the twins’ pyjamas and had quite obviously decided he was there for the night if not for ever.
After supper, Charlie went next door to finish her homework with Lottie and Uncle Joe who was a whiz at maths, drawing cartoons and making up stories. He was delighted to aid and abet the girls. Joe's wife, Barbara, had produced pancakes with ice-cream and handed her little son around for approval by the teenagers.
"I can't remember life without Uncle Joe." Charlie said.
"I'm glad you decided on Barbara and not Sonia," Lottie added.
The whole story of that fated relationship with the schoolmistress at the boarding school Lottie had been sent to in South Africa emerged from Lottie’s point of view, with which Joe did not argue.
"We're all glad about that," said Charlie, "even if you are a lady cop, Barbara."
"Was she really so awful?" Barbara asked.
"Ghastly," said Lottie, and Joe had to agree.
But Joe still had a guilty conscience about sending her packing after she had actually changed her mind about being with him and had come all the way from S.A. to tell him that she would even consider having a baby since Cleo would e close buy to help raise it..
"She didn't even like the little Hurleys," Lottie said. "And she was using me to get at Daddy, but she could never have been my step-mother. I would have kicked up a fuss."
"She sounds nightmarish," said Barbara. “You had a lucky escape, Joe!"
"We all did," said Charlie.
***
The rough and tumble of Hurley family life was all Gary really needed, as he told Cleo repeatedly.
“Okay, you have the next babies,” she would then reply, “I’ll do the garden and sort out crime in this district.”
“Would you?” Gary would then say.
“I’ll do your jobs if you manage to do mine,” Cleo would retort. “But don't forget that humanity would have died out long ago if we females had left it to males to procreate on their own!”
***
At 8 Greg arrived. He was very curious about what Mia wanted at the cottage after office hours when she rang him and asked him if he had time.
“I’m not involved,” Greg had told her. “I was away when it happened and I think I’m being excluded.”
“Rubbish, Greg. We need you in this really nasty business.”
“You’ve convinced me,” said Greg. “What time should I be there?”
“I’m not sure about the food situation, so eight would be good if you please eat first. I’m taking Tim along. I couldn’t get a baby-sitter at such short notice”.
***
Gary was overjoyed to see Greg, not least because he wanted to use what was how his office for the video conference.
“I haven’t been keeping you out of it,” he told Greg. “Please remember that you walked out on us, but I’m glad you’re back, and I mean that.”
“That chemist case got sewn up without me, Gary. You’ll get the report on Monday.”
“Congratulations, whoever managed it!”
“The case more or less solved itself,” said Greg. “That chemist took a pot shot at the junkie, wiped the gun clean, and put it in the victim’s hand.”
“That was stupid, wasn’t it?”
“Exactly. The bullets were from the gun and yet it was clearly not suicide, as Chris confirmed. People don’t shoot themselves in the back. So we decided that the chemist had tried to camouflage murdering the intruder in a very amateurish way. It didn’t take much questioning to pin him down. I think he was genuinely shocked.”
“Another would-be innocent killer,” said Gary. “Don’t let empathy overtake you, GReg. He did not run amok; he took careful aim.”
***
“I’m glad Tim feels at home, Mia,” said Cleo. “I can hear them. They’ll go to sleep when they’re tired. Tim can stay here if he’s asleep when you leave, Mia.”
“Won’t that be a nuisance?” said Mia, who wondered how Cleo could possibly cope with so many kids.
“It’s easy when you love them all to bits,” Cleo replied, looking hard at Greg, who was starting to see Mia in quite a different light.
“I agree,” said Greg, to his own surprise, but somewhat disconcerted. Cleo’s eyes seemed to see right through him. He was shy and not in the least demonstrative. Was Cleo managing a sea change? The more Greg thought about it during that evening, the better he liked the idea.
***
“Open Sesame!” said Gary as he presently tipped the entire contents of Mike’s satchel onto the dining table.
The two pseudo-scientific books written by L.C. Digby-Mortimer fell out. They were thin paperbacks from a series called “Helping yourself to understand”.
“How can you take a book seriously if it’s entitled ‘When Outside goes Inside’?” said Gary.
“What about ‘Bitter or Sweet: The Taste of Love’?” said Greg, reading the second title out aloud like a monologue.
***
“Do you know these books, Cleo?” Gary asked.
“Unfortunately, I had to read a number of such penny dreadfuls during my studies. They are bought and devoured by many people looking for answers to their real or imagined troubles and are often the guys we deal with as social workers. Our candidates are often misfits and spurred on by all sorts of imagery to say or do things they probably would not say or do if they could think straight. But they keep the publisher’s afloat.”
“Even in my darkest hour I would not want to consult one of those books,” said Greg, flipping through the pages of the book whose title he had just read out.
“Just listen to this: “for some people, being hungry for love boils down to hunger for the lover, he read. “What junk!”
“It could be metaphorical,” said Cleo. “Or hinting at anthropophagy.”
“What’s that when it’s at home, Cleo?”
“Cannibalism, Greg. Those who indulge in it believe that it’s the greatest sacrifice of all.”
“Am I or on a horror trip?” said Greg. “Is that what the priory case is all about? No wonder everyone goes around whispering.”
***
“I’m impressed with Mike’s industry,” said Greg an hour or two later. “But if I’m honest, I don’t want to be part of this investigation.”
“Do you still have a choice?” Mia wanted to know.
Gary caught the waves of mutual attraction drawing Mia and Greg together. Cleo grinned in his direction. The world is full of surprises. From rivalry to romance, she mused.
***
“So why don’t you go home, kids?” Gary suggested. “Neither of you need to get involved. Mike’s inquiry is coincidental to the priory case, but it looks as if he was on the right track, though he did not know about the current cannibalism discussion, so he's the next in line for questioning and that's my job in this case.”
“Are you sure?” said Cleo.
“No,” said Gary. “But I’m going to talk to him in prison first thing tomorrow and hope I’ll know more after that.”
“What if he won’t cooperate?” said Greg.
“He will if he thinks he’s going to be rehabilitated.”
“That’s a high price to pay,” said Mia. “I’ll have to think about going elsewhere if you take him back.”
“No need,” said Greg. “Face him. He must have learnt his lesson by now – and you have me to fall back on.”
Mia looked surprised.
“Do I?” she said.
“Only if you want it,” said Greg, wondering how he had  had the courage to make that offer. He was not very good at personal relationships.
“I’m not sure I can refuse that offer, Greg.”
***
“The intriguing part is the alternative to the cannibal solution,” said Cleo, thinking that Greg's flirting was out of character and probably difficult for him to sustain. “If Bailey is the gangster you now believe he must be, he will have minions doing the dirty jobs for him, including disposing of the victims in a particularly vile way. If that’s the case, he might know which of his associates would be capable of such brutality.”
“Unless he did it himself,” said Mia. “Farmers have access to abattoirs and know how to chop up animals.”
“How creepy is that!” said Greg. “If you want a lift home, get your coat on, Mia. I’m in court in the morning and I need some sleep before then.”
“We all need some sleep, Greg,” said Gary. “Let’s call it a day, shall we?”
"It's Sunday tomorrow, Greg. No court procedures."
"So it is," said Greg.
Mia looked disconcerted.
“Tim’s fine here, if that’s what’s bothering you,” said Cleo.
“Are you sure?”
***
Mia had a flat in an old villa on the outskirts of Middlethumpton. It did not take long to get there with Greg following Mia’s little care in his own.
Throughout the drive, Greg was trying to find a way of showing Mia he was interested. But he needn’t have worried. The cars had hardly pulled up in front of the villa when Mia told Greg he could leave the car on the street and come in for a nightcap.
***
“I’ve been thinking about us all evening,” she said. "Ithink you have, too, Greg."
“I’m a bit overwhelmed,” he stammered. “I thought you’d finished with men, living in that shelter.”
“As soon as I realized that Mike was going to be absent for a couple of years I looked for somewhere nice to move into and filed for divorce,” said Mia. “Mike has no claim on me.”
“You must be glad about that,” said Greg. “And this place is great. No sign of your ex.”
“He has never been here, Greg, and I am back in the land of the living.”
That sounded like an invitation to Greg. He sat down and lounged on the two-seater sofa feeling quite at home.
“I’ll get us some coffee, but I should warn you that I am not the little woman type of woman, you know, stirring jam and knitting socks all day.”
“Is that what Mike wanted?”
“I think he wanted someone to knock about, Greg.”
“I’m not likely to do that.”
“Tim is well looked after at the Hurleys, and this is the first time I’m going to spend the night alone here.”
“There is an alternative, Mia.”
“Is there?”
“There’s me, for instance,” said Greg, feeling a bit shy now things appeared to be hotting up.
“When do you really have to get up?”
“If it was Monday, I’d have that chemist case at 10,” said Greg. “But it’s Sunday, so I usually get up when the mood takes me.”
"It's really my job to deal with drugs, Greg, so I should beat the court case, shouldn’t I."
"Not unless you want to. The chemist thought his daughter was dating the dead guy. The motive could be that he did not want a junkie to date his daughter, so he set a trap. His daughter cooperated without knowing what was at stake.”
“She can’t be made to testify against her father, can she?”
“No. but she can be made to admit that the dead guy was not her boyfriend.”
“So it was self-defence, after all,” said Mia.
“It’s more complicated than that. The genuine boyfriend came an hour early, helped himself to drugs and left. The other guy just happened to notice that the chemist door was not properly shut and got in that way.”
“So how had the real boyfriend got in?”
“He had a key, Mia. The junkie came at the time the boyfriend was due to come.”
“Why didn’t I find out about all this, Greg?”
“The call came in to me just after I got back from my sabbatical, because there were homicides. You were busy with that shop-theft incident. I think you suspected the security officer and the thief to be in league and had gone to find out more.”
“Don’t tell me the boyfriend had also been shot.”
“OK. I won’t tell you.”
“Where and when did it happen?”
“The young man was on the way home from the pub about 3 hours later. There were no witnesses.”
“So the chemist realized he’d got the wrong guy and wanted to put the record straight.”
“That’s what the court will have to decide.”
“But surely the shots were from the same gun?”
“And that’s where it gets interesting. Two deadly accurate shots into the heart – both from the back – but one gun. Whoever did it does not know much about ballistics.”
***
“Enough shop-talk "said Mia. "Would you like to stay here tonight, Greg?”
“Are you inviting me?”
“I suppose I am.”
“Then I’ll stay.”
***
“Left side or right?” said Mia.
“What are we talking about?”
“My bed, of course.”
“I can take the sofa,” said Greg, now totally confused by the mixture of formality and friendliness.
“You can’t stretch out on it,” said Mia. “Top or bottom?”
“Now what’s the riddle?”
“Pyjamas, silly.”
“I don’t normally wear any,” said Greg, now acutely embarrassed.
“Then don’t,” said Mia. “We don’t have to have sex, but you’ll be more comfortable in bed.”
Greg had thought Rosie was a forward little vamp. Well, you live and learn.


No comments:

Post a Comment